Sunday, September 5, 2010

Balboa Park



These two scrapbook pages by designer Laura Drahozal are a Dreamweaver Stencils extravaganza. First she stenciled the waterlily background stencil (LJ861) onto blue cardstock using green and pink inks. Then she used translucent embossing paste over the entire stencil. Once it was dry she die cut the Balboa Park title with an alphabet die on her die cutting machine. The thing that makes this so amazing is that she must have repeated the stenciling and translucent embossing paste process two or three times to get that many letters die cut. (A work of love for her scrapbook.) She also paste embossed and stenciled the dragonflies and lily pad stencil (LM136) a couple of times and cut those out by hand once they were dry. The koi fish (LG701) were dry embossed on metal through one of the embossing/die cutting machines, and colored with alcohol inks. Then she cut those out by hand as well. They are beautiful and this process sort of reminds me of the red metallic leafing used on copper paste. I know I have said this before but, "the pictures don't do it justice". I am sure she must love to have these pages in her scrapbook to remember those lily pads and koi fish that are shown in her pictures of beautiful Balboa Park. If it wasn't for the horrendous Labor Day weekend traffic I would head down there this weekend to experience them myself. Laura, if you are reading this, feel free to make comments on the process. Also remind me how you did the stitching to connect the fish. Was that done by hand or a machine?

6 comments:

Kristi said...

All I can Say is WOW!!!!!!

Laura Drahozal said...

You have most of the processes right, Lynell. Actually, the dragonflies and lily pads were stenciled with embossing powder on Eclipse (?) double sided tape. Then, I heat embossed them and cut them out. The stitching was hand designed and hand stitched.
Thanks for highlighting this, Lynell. Your picture of it is so much better than mine. Thanks, too, to Kristi for the kind comment.

Marijane said...

What beautiful pages. The koi fish are breathtaking and I had no idea they were metal, though they look like metal. I thought it was an embossing paste with gold leaf brushed on top. I think I will try to get this effect using the copper embossing paste as you suggested, Lynell. I really like that look.

SherylH said...

Gorgeous! Love the koi in particular. I also want to thank you Lynell for starting this blog -- I am getting so many ideas for using my Dreamweaver stencils and enjoy looking at all the beautiful projects from you and your DT. Only thing is now I am needing more stencils and embossing paste :)

Barbara said...

These pages are beautiful! I love all the great ideas that are posted here and want to try them all!

Pam Hornschu said...

Wow! Gorgeous pages, Laura!

Post a Comment