Thursday, June 30, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Colorway Challenge Purple and Yellow

I have to begin this week by saying that on Saturday several of the team will be involved in a July 2nd blog hop with another team of people. We are giving away a couple of stencils in conjunction with this...so hop along on Saturday and you can go to Pam Hornschu's site to learn all the details and could even start there on Saturday. Lots of other prizes will be given away so follow her name on the sidebar at the right to learn more. I won't be involved here on this site but you can navigate to her site from here if you get lost. Free stencils are always fun!


This week design team member Laura Drahozal has chosen a colorway of purple and yellow. I have taken a few liberties with the color and interpreted yellow as Yellow/Gold. I did this because when I went to my craft cupboard I happened to pull out a jar of Dreamweaver Pearlescent Embossing Paste (DPP) that I had dumped a teaspoon of Goldfinch colored Metallic F/X into a few weeks ago when I was trying to make a yellow iridescent mixture...in fact now that I think about it... I had also mixed in about two tablespoons of Dreamweaver Matte Yellow Embossing Paste (DMYP). When I opened it up, it appeared fairly "yellow" iridescent and then Violá! that was it...a light went on in my brain as I went through this scurry flurry process of trying to find the perfect "yellow" color for this week's colorway. Then I went to my paper closet and started trying to find the right color of purple...well I found a packet of fusible synthetic suede that had been there for eons. It was a rich deep color of purple and I decided that I had obviously been hoarding it for just this occasion. YAY!!! So gold is just another form of yellow...right? Might as well use what you have in stock when time is short. 

Well my second liberty happens to be my choice of a background stencil that I used with that lovely golden "goop".  Yes, the design team is going to be very annoyed with me this week, because I am using a new design that will not be available until August and I usually don't let them tease the customers with things that are not yet available. Sorry to tease you with this, but I just couldn't resist. Technically it is an older design made larger and just slightly different in the design. But this wonderful Optical art design is now the LJ size of stencil. Several years ago I discontinued it in the LG size category and in August look for it at your favorite retailer as Optical/Art (LJ915). I paste-embossed this background onto the purple suede using our new paste spreader tool (LM2010). Then on a piece of navy cardstock I paste-embossed the pear stencil (LL563) using the Dreamweaver Matte Black Embossing Paste (DMBP). Once it was dry (approx. 25 min. later) I repositioned the clean/dry pear stencil onto the pasted pear design and pasted a second layer of paste this time using the Dreamweaver Crackle Embossing Paste (CEP). The reason I pre-pasted with the Matte Black Paste is because it creates stability for the second layer of Crackle Embossing Paste. Otherwise the crackle paste might just crack off the paper. Once this second layer of paste is dry and completely crackled (if I lay it on my pancake griddle on a low setting it only takes 20 minutes) I reposition the pear stencil onto the design and then I stencil it with pigment inks. I started with a base of yellow and then shaded with reds and a variety of greens. Then I cut it out using a craft knife and mounted it onto my background with foam mounting tape. I have always loved this pear stencil design...it is truly a classic and everyone should have it in their bag of stencil goodies. 

This week I have a special post done by a student of Marj Marion. Remember I posted a card design done last week by this wonderful stencil teacher in Lacey, WA. The store where Marj teaches is called Art 'N Soul and her student Peggy has taken many many many of Marj's classes. She paste-embossed this darling snail stencil (LM290) with Dreamweaver Glossy Black Embossing Paste (DGKP) and then once it was dry she daubed it with the Stamp & Stick Glue Pad (GSP) and then stenciled on top of the glue with mica powders. Thank you Peggy for sharing this card design with Marj and thank you Marj for passing it on to me. 


Remember we would love to share your creations on the blog...you can email them to me digitally at my email address: lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com or you can send them to me physically via US postal service. Contact me at my email and I will let you know where to mail it. You can also play along with our colorway challenge this week by linking below to Mr. Linky. If you don't get a chance to play along please take time to follow the Dream Team's creations. Their names are listed at the sidebar on the right. Many of them teach all over the United States and even Nova Scotia and they list their classes on their sites. Enjoy!

8 comments:

Deborah March said...

Oooohhhh...NOT FAIR!! Love love LOVE that new background stencil...WOOT!! Fabulous card Lynell!

Deborah March said...

OH! And that escargot card is WICKED!!! I always serve escargot at my dinner parties...this would make such a GREAT invitation!! Thanks for the inspiration Peggy!

Louise said...

Have to admit, my first reactions was "Hey, wait a minute, that's a new stencil in the background!" It looks incredible with your paste combo, and how can you go wrong with the pear!
Hats off to Peggy too, you did a wonderful job with the F/X powders on the escargot. It's beautiful!

Lee Kellogg said...

I love it Lynell! The pear is outstanding and now I have many ideas!
Peggy -- a wonderful job on the snail.

Pam Hornschu said...

Cheater! Lol. I love this card! What did you mean by fusible suede. Sounds intriguing. Love the crackle on the pear!

Kristi said...

Love the glitter, love the pear, love the background. love that this is posting!!!

Wendy said...

Good morning Lynell. I am so in love with the new background stencil. I have many visions for it!! I hope you and your family have a great 4th of July!! Take care!!

Laura Drahozal said...

I love what you did with the color challenge, Lynell! That pear fits really well inside the optical squares. It almost looks like those squares are caressing the pear! I love the crackle, too.

Post a Comment