Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Embossing on Colored Aluminum


I am very excited because next week I get to take a class from Magdalena Muldoon of Mercart. She is "the" expert when it comes to embossing on metal. The card that I am showing here this Thursday is done so simply. Magdalena sells colored aluminum sheets of metal and this creation was done by her rep in the Illinois area...Elaine Benedict. 

Elaine very simply ran the cathedral window quilt design (LJ808) through her Cuttlebug embossing machine on beautiful aqua colored aluminum and then sanded with a fine grit sanding block or manicure sanding block. It took off the top layer of color and left just the silver aluminum show through. Then she did the same thing with the Heliconia butterfly (LM257) on black colored aluminum and after sanding the raised layer of black color off she cut the butterfly out with small sharp scissors. She edged the background with a decorative wheel and mounted the aqua piece onto black shiny cardstock that she paste-embossed the Thank You (LM147) with Silver Embossing Paste (DSP) and then while it was still wet she added glitter.

If you are interested in using your embossing machine to emboss metals my suggestion is to use the stacking that I suggest for paper, but the thicker embossing mat is not necessary (a thin one that comes with the machine will work just fine) and of course you do not need to spray the back of the metal with rubbing alcohol like you do the paper. If you want the instruction sheet for dry embossing you can email me at lynell@dreamweaverstencils.com

This is a free challenge this week...this means you can do anything you would like, so if you get inspired join us by creating something and linking us into your blog. Occasionally one of you out there sends me a sample and I love to write about it, so if you get inspired to do so that will inspire me. Also take the time to visit the Dream Team and leave some comments....their names are on the sidebar to the right. Have a wonderful week!

8 comments:

Marijane said...

What a beauty!!! The metal looks very interesting - I must try it. I'd like to see more of the stenciled metal. Love your art, Elaine! Thanks for sharing it with us, Lynell.

Louise said...

This is so beautiful! I can hardly wait for our workshop next week.

sommrstamping said...

Boy I sure wish I was going to that workshop next week. This card is really beautiful.

Wendy said...

Oh my goodness...this is so simply perfect!! That Elaine....she is always pulling the most fantastic creations out of her sleeve!!! I hope you are having a good week Lynell!!!

Pam Hornschu said...

Gorgeous card, Elaine! Love that technique. Really looking forward to the classes next week. Hope you're feeling better, Lynell.

Laura Drahozal said...

This is outstanding! I just love the look of the metals. I am really looking forward to the workshop next week.

Lee Kellogg said...

More metal, I am sorry I won't be there next week. Have fun and get all kinds of fun ideas.

Deborah March said...

Missed this one...must get me some more of that metal for a new set of Dreamweaver classes this fall!! YUM!!

Post a Comment