Thursday, June 16, 2011

Thursday's Dream Schemes/Sketch #7


This holiday is like Mother's Day for me. It is great when you can say that the Father in your life has created many wonderful memories for you. Some of my earliest memories were the "road trips" I used to take with Dad. He was a truck driver and my three siblings and I used to take turns in the summertime taking trips with him. I can remember looking at all the beautiful scenery and we played lots of road games and even had a bird watcher's list. He did love his kids and as I got older our "trip" conversations turned to "the national debt" and the "federal reserve system", political topics and where the nation was headed. He had a great influence on my values and opinions. He also loves to collect anything from barbed wire to books on the old west. And all those years of trucking my Dad wore cowboy boots. So Dad this one is for you....

Deborah March's Sketch #7
This week I was inspired by Dream Team member Wendy Jordan. She did a cowboy boot in her post this last week using the damask (LJ907) and I thought it was so beautiful. Check out her blog from Thursday of last week.

So I CASEd Wendy's cowboy boot (LG660) by paste-embossing on white paper with the Matte Black Embossing Paste (DMBP) and then after it was dry I paste-embossed with Glossy White Embossing Paste (DGWP) by leaving the cowboy boot in position and layering the damask stencil (LJ907) on top of it. Just a reminder I used a bit of tape to mask out the sole and heel of the boot, so the damask design would not be on that portion of the boot. Then for the other side of the card I just reversed this process. Black paper with the main part of the boot Glossy White Embossing paste ...etc.

The center red circle became the area for my sentiment and I had to digitally print out a Happy Father's Day, because I didn't plan in advance and the circle was too small to use my favorite Happy Father's Day stencil (LM244). Sometimes you just have to make do.

As we begin this week's challenge don't feel as if you need to do a design for Father's Day. Use Deborah March's sketch challenge in another way and join us by posting next week after Father's Day. If you don't have a blog and just enjoy stenciling your cards for your own pleasure we understand. But if you send me one of your creations I will post it for all to enjoy. Follow the sidebar at the right to see what the Dream Team has come up with this week.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

I am so thrilled that you were inspired by my card. Thank you Lynell!! I hope yourself and the girls had a great time in Chicago. I though of you all and wished everyday that I was there. Your card is fabulous and I am glad to see that your sentiment was a digital image, because I thought that I had really missed a good stencil.
Have a great weekend Lynell!!

sommrstamping said...

This card is so fun Lynell, I love the cowboy boot. I have been playing with the cowboy boot and the zentangling idea. Love it with the damask.

Deborah March said...

OOOHHHH Lynell, what a FABULOUS card!! I was NEVER interested in this stencil, but having seen some of the FUN things the designers are doing with it, it's next on my list! Thanks for the inspiration...again!

Louise said...

Great boots Lynell! I love it when creating a design brings back wonderful memories.

Liz Martin said...

The damask stencil gives the boots a really classy look . . . I might even wear them myself if I could find a pair like that! Thanks, too for sharing memories of road trips with your Dad.

Lee Kellogg said...

I so like this card Lynell! The positive negative or yin yang thing works well!

Pam Hornschu said...

Love the story about your dad, even more so now that I've met him...he's quite a character! Love how you showed that stencils can be reversed as a mirror image...something very difficult to do with stamps!

Laura Drahozal said...

I love the opposite colored boots. I also think that damask is beautiful in it. Of course, I completely agree with Deborah about now having a desire for that stencil......I even have a few ideas of my own with it.

Post a Comment